Zannou’s uber tasty chicken sammich!
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast per 2 sammiches (boneless skinless breast is easier, but if you don’t mind the work or prefer a different cut, substitute as you like)
- 1 red pepper per 2 sammiches (I go for the peppers that look like 4/8 segments as opposed to 3/6)
- green leaf lettuce (I use green leaf because it has a mild flavour)
- a red onion
- a tomato (gonna be lots of tomato left over)
- 1 slice of cheese per sammich,:a mild Gouda, or maybe Edam, at sharpest a marble cheddar
- a honey-mustard sauce, making your own is EASY, 1:1 by volume yellow mustard and liquid honey is the easiest
- 1 multi-grain or whole-wheat kaiser bun per sammich
- butter or non-hydrogenated margarin
- 1/2 cup of italian (zesty) salad dressing (per 2 sammichs)
- 1/4 tsp tabasco sauce (per 2 sammichs)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (per 2 sammichs)
- 1/2 tsp powdered garlic or finely minced garlic (per 2 sammichs)
- 1/4 cop of white vinegar (per 2 sammichs)
- 1/4 cup of orange juice (per 2 sammichs)
- Start out by slicing the chicken breast in half “thick-wise” into ‘fillets’ (?). Not sure how else to describe it. you want two flat pieces of chicken out of each breast.
- prepare the marinade. Mix in a bowl the dressing, tabasco, crushed red pepper, garlic, vinegar and o.j. Marinate the chicken ‘fillets’ overnight or, if you have a vacuum sealer with a marinate attachment (woot!), 15 minutes.
- while marinating the chicken in the vacuum sealer OR the next day before cooking the chicken… core the seeds etc out of the red pepper and slice it into quarters.
- place the pepper quarters into a hot press-grill and cook on high-heat until the skin begins to separate from the flesh.
- remove the cooked pepper quarters from the grill and set aside to cool.
- make sure the press grill is at high-heat and cook the marinated chicken thoroughly.
- while the chicken is cooking and after the red pepper has cooled, peel the skin off of the peppers. I eat the skin, you can throw it away if you don’t like vitamins.
- slice the buns in half thick-wise and lightly toast in either a toaster or toaster oven.
- LIGHTLY butter (or margarin) the buns.
- build that sammich! Me? On the bottom half of the bun I start with the lettuce then the chicken. On top of that comes 2 quarters of the grilled red pepper (now skinless), a slice of tomato, some sliced red onion, then a slice of cheese (gouda FTW!). Finally, I spread a little honey-mustard sauce on the top of the bun and crown that masterpiece.
- salt and pepper or spice or tweak or own it to your taste.