Sour Cream Coffee Cake

This recipe dates back to the stone age, but it is the best coffee cake ever! I don’t recognize my birthday anymore, but I do mysteriously get this cake made for me. And my mom still bakes it for me when I visit her. The recipe is so old that my original recipe card calls for “Oleo”.

1/2 cup butter or margarine (go with the butter)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream (1/2 pint)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs

Topping: 1/2 cut chopped nuts, 1tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup sugar

With hand mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar (alternate wet and dry), then add eggs, vanilla, sour cream, flour and remaining ingredients.

Put 1/2 batter in greased, floured cake pan (springform or bundt pan works well), sprinkle half of the topping, then add rest of batter and topping. Batter will be very sticky.

Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 45 minutes; test for doneness with toothpick

I was really, really craving coffee cake all week, and could not find good bakery around here. Then I remembered this was on the forums and made it this morning.

Wow…

Even if you’re a noob at baking, follow the directions and you’ll make a very tasty cake!

=O******

and yes… the batter will be thick and sticky, like Ren mentioned. Just spoon it in a spread it evenly and it all works out in the end hehe.

Thanks ren, this is going in my stash of uber recipes!