Chocolate Covered Pretzels with a twist

My nieces love these. They are easy to make and look really pretty too. Just put them in a container (I use glass jars from Libbey) and you have a great gift for the boss that has everything, teachers, etc. I’ve included my version - chocolate peanut butter pretzels too.

Here’s the original recipe for CHOCOLATE COVERED PRETZELS:

Ingredients:

1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup White Chips, divided
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil), divided
About 24 salted or unsalted pretzels (3x2 inches)

Directions:

1. Cover tray or cookie sheet with wax paper.

2. Place chocolate chips, 2/3 cup white chips and 1 tablespoon shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. Microwave at MEDIUM an additional 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 15 seconds, until chips are melted when stirred.

3. Using fork, dip each pretzel into chocolate mixture; tap fork on side of bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place coated pretzels on prepared tray.

4. Place remaining 1/3 cup white chips and remaining 1/2 teaspoon shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM 15 to 30 seconds or until chips are melted when stirred. Using tines of fork, drizzle chip mixture across pretzels. Refrigerate until coating is set. Store in airtight container in cool, dry place. About 2 dozen coated pretzels.

VARIATION:

WHITE DIPPED PRETZELS: Cover tray with wax paper. Place 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) White Chips and 2 tablespoons shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil) in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until chips are melted when stirred. Dip pretzels as directed above. Place 1/4 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1/4 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil) in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds to 1 minute or until chips are melted when stirred. Drizzle melted chocolate across pretzels, using tines of fork. Refrigerate and store as directed above.

HERE’S MY VERSION – CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER PRETZELS:

1. Cover tray or cookie sheet with wax paper.

2. Place chocolate chips, 2/3 cup peanut butter chips and 1 tablespoon shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. Microwave at MEDIUM an additional 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 15 seconds, until chips are melted when stirred.

3. Using fork, dip each pretzel into chocolate mixture; tap fork on side of bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place coated pretzels on prepared tray.

4. Place 1/4 cup of peanut butter chips and 1/4 cup of white chips, add 3/4 teaspoon shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM 15 to 30 seconds or until chips are melted when stirred. Using tines of fork, drizzle chip mixture across pretzels. Refrigerate until coating is set. Store in airtight container in cool, dry place. About 2 dozen coated pretzels.

VARIATION:

Instead of the knotted pretzels, get pretzel sticks and dip them in the chocolate and then dip that into a bowl of sprinkles or crushed nuts. Yum!

OOOOH I have done these before and its wonderful, though I didn’t use your recipe. Will have to give that a try this holiday season.

Well I hate to cook so if I find something easy to take to gatherings/parties I love it. Plus these taste really good - I just can’t bring any home with me. LOL