Yummy Brussels Sprouts (yes, seriously)

Hey all,
Have you ever had brussels sprouts before? Have you ever liked them when you’ve tried them? I didn’t think so. It’s probably because you’ve only had them boiled before (yuck!).

So here’s a recipe my brother taught me that has now made brussels sprouts my new favorite vegetable!
I don’t add any measurements in here, as all of this is done to taste.

Take a bunch of brussels sprouts - it’s best if they are the small kind - wash them, then cut them in half from the stem to the top. Put some olive oil in a skillet, turn to medium heat. Put the brussels sprouts flat side down in the pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper (sea salt tastes best, but any table salt is still good). Cover the pan, and cook for 5 minutes. Once they are BARELY tender (they should not be too tender - it ruins the texture), uncover and turn up the heat to brown them, stirring in the process to get some browning on all sides. Once browned, season with a little more salt and pepper. Be sure to serve hot for the best flavor.

This is great as-is. Optionally, you can add a small amount of grated or shredded cheese of your choice to the sprouts. Parmesan is always a good choice, and so is gouda, or really just about any type that you might like.

Enjoy! And the one thing to remember - this recipe does NOT involve boiling at any step! I tried them once when the person making them boiled them first by accident, and it totally ruined them!

Amen. I loathed brussels sprouts (boiled) as a kid, learned to cook them the right way, and now cannot get enough of their irony goodness. To follow on to Mikey’s excellent advice:

1. Oven roasting w/olive oil, salt, and high heat is a good and low-maintenance alternative, especially if you like your sprouts crispy bordering on nuked (as I do).
  2. If you’re having trouble getting your pan-cooked sprouts to cook all the way through, consider blanching them in salted boiling water for a minute or so before putting them in the pan. Sacrilege, I know, but it works.
  3. Lemon juice and/or shiteloads of garlic provide a nice stam buff to the recipe below. Just be careful not to incinerate the garlic if you’re cooking in the pan.

I like brussels sprouts, no matter how they are prepared :frowning:

I like steamed best though, maybe with a little nutmeg and butter. :slight_smile:

Summer sprout fun:

Toss a big pile of them in some olive oil, hot sauce, salt, and pepper, then spear them on skewers and throw them on the bbq grill. I cook asparagus this way, too: a little extra virgin and some habanero sauce goes a long way toward making those icky vegetables super tasty.

I like them boiled. Put them in a pot, boil until they float.

At that point, drain the water, then sautee in butter. After, add lemon juice to taste, salt and pepper. Viola!