Start to finish BBQ Sandwiches

So, to get some recipes flowing here, I’ll finally offer up the stats on one of my favorite fresh prep meals! (blue text indicates useful tips)

BBQ Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw on Fresh Sourdough Rye (or Wheat!) Bread.

This may look like a ton of effort, but with proper planning it is no more complicated or exhausting than a typical meal. Pre-planning is the key to a bunch of BBQ that can serve about 10 people, or be frozen for future meals.

Day 1:

Coleslaw. (good Coleslaw needs to marinate overnight to be perfect and chilled upon arrival at the table)
BBQ sauce. (This can be made the same day, but easy to cook while prepping the coleslaw)
Sourdough starter. (Do this the night before you intend to bake for some amazing tasting bread!)

Day 2 (serving day):

8 hours crock pot Pork w/ BBQ sauce
make n’ bake bread
Eat until you 'esplode

Coleslaw:

1 small head cabbage, shredded (I tend to remove a few outer leaves and use all the crunch inner ones. Just don’t overdo it on the cabbage or the sauce will be weak)
3 medium carrots, shredded
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup Greek Yogurt (if you don’t have Greek Yogurt, or don’t care about calories, use a full cup of Mayo instead)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup+ of white flavored Balsamic vinegar (my favorite is pear). (You can use dark, but the presentaion will be off). (When all else fails, use apple cider vinegar instead)

In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrots (if your cabbage was juicy or wet from cleaning, drain excess juice). In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, sugar and vinegar. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Set in fridge overnight.

BBQ sauce:

(This recipe harkens back to Uhglee and Glork many years ago. Wherever you guys are, thanks bunches!)

Homemade BBQ Sauce

Warning all, this is the kind of sauce that will clog your arteries while you are reading the recipe…proceed with caution! I am fairly certain this recipe was a modified version of something from a cookbook, but I have no clue where it came from anymore. Also, I apologize for the “about” method of measurement - I’m fairly loose on measuring and just go by how much it looks like in the pan…hence why I normally don’t share recipes!

-4 or 5 slices of bacon (don’t wimp out - use the real thing, it’s just better) (Costco’s applewood is amazing in this!)
-1 sweet onion
-3 or 4 cloves of garlic (I prefer the Italian way of smashing with the flat of a knife)
-about 1/3 c. balsamic vinegar (I use more, and definitely try using the same flavored one you used for coleslaw… you’ll seem pro!)
-about 1/8 to 1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce (correct pronunciation not required)
-1 can of tomato sauce (the soup size cans, not the bigger cans although it won’t hurt the recipe)
-about 1/8 c. brown sugar (I add a touch more)
-One chipotle in adobo sauce (if you like smokey spice drop some in… for pork BBQ though I tend to skip it. You can always add some later!)
-Add in a heaping spoonful of whatever jelly you have on hand - I’ve used pomegranite, apple, berry, and plum successfully. (I use homemade apple butter)
-a good drizzle of honey

Chop up the bacon into about 1" pieces and fry them up. You’re better off frying them up so they are fairly crunchy - crunchier than you’d serve for breakfast but not burnt. When they are done, just scoop out your bits and drain them on a paper cloth. Get rid of most of your grease but leave about 2-3 tablespoons in the pan. (Yes, you need the grease, don’t skimp!)

Chop up your onion and garlic, then saute them in the bacon grease.

Add the rest of the ingredients (including the bacon), mix well, and let that hang out in the pan for a few minutes at medium to medium low. (You’re going for that effect where it’s not quite bubbling.) Serve this with just about anything you’d normally serve barbeque sauce with and don’t tell your doctor where you got it. :slight_smile:
(to save time, you can throw the BBQ sauce into your crock pot insert at this point and place in fridge if you have room.)

Sourdough Starter:

While I highly recommend purchasing an established strain such as the one sold by King Arthur Flour, you can make your own strain by forcing dried yeast to ‘go wild’. Pleas realize that no matter where you purchase your starter from that it will eventually change flavor due to your location. This is why ‘San Francisco’ Sourdough is not reproducible outside of the area. You can order starter from a baker there, but within a week or two, it will adapt to your area. Sad but true.

If you have a starter strain, just feed it as usual. You’ll need about 2 cups of starter, so split off a cup from your fridge stash and feed both your main batch, and your ‘discard’ batch. You’ll be using your discard batch for the bread. (add 1/2 cup warm water + 1/2 cup flour, stir and leave overnight).

If you don’t have an established strain, do this at least 2 days in advance:

1/2 cup (4oz) warm water
1/2 cup (4oz) white, unbleached flour
1 tbls active dry yeast (if desperate, use a packet of Fleismans yeast)

after 6-12 hours, it should be smooth and bubbly depending on the strength of your yeast
stir

add another:
1/2 cup (4oz) warm water
1/2 cup (4oz) white, unbleached flour
stir

If you want to now maintain your new strain, repeat one final time so that you have 3 cups total starter, sit for a final 6-12 hours and you are caught up to anyone with an existing fed strain. =)

Day 2:

BBQ pork:
Start crock pot: 2 hours on high, then 6-8 on low. (BBQ is flexible, it can sit in the crock for a long time if need be)

Add your BBQ sauce and pork. I go the easy route and buy the long pork tenderloins from Costco. (the one with the rub marinade works great!). You can use, however, any cut meant for BBQ like pork shoulder.

make sure the meat is coated in BBQ sauce, then cover and ignore it.
After 2 hours, be sure to flip.

After about 4-5 hours, stir it up, flip it, poke it a bit to see if it’s starting to fall apart. If any areas give willingly, push apart and coat with sauce.
By hour 6 it should be breaking up nicely. Help it along and make sure it is still covered in sauce
let it ride out the last 2 hours and get ready to eat.

Rye/Wheat Bread:
(original recipe from King Arthur Flour, listed as: Marilyn’s Whole Wheat and Rye Sourdough Bread, modified by Mir =)

1 tablespoon instant yeast
1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) lukewarm milk (50 seconds in microwave works for me)
2 cups (16 1/2 ounces) sourdough starter, fed or unfed* (feed it, don’t cheap out)
1/4 cup (1 7/8 ounces) packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2+ cup (2+ oz) of chia seeds (if you have them, no worries if you don’t)
1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional and only use if adding Rye flour.)
1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) white rye flour
1 cup (4 ounces) King Arthur Premium Whole Wheat Flour (I use their newer White Wheat Flour… it’s awesome)
3 1/2 to 4 cups (14 3/4 to 17 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (In the south, 15 oz (3.6 cups) is the perfect amount)

(If you don’t like Rye, or don’t have rye flour, just double the wheat flour instead. We bake it both ways because the rye flour makes it taste completely different.)

*If you feed your starter first, the dough will rise a bit more quickly.

Combine the yeast, milk, the sourdough starter, sugar, salt and seeds. Stir in the rye flour and beat until the batter is smooth. Add the whole wheat flour, then the unbleached all-purpose flour, a cup at a time, stirring well after each addition (one cup at a time makes for smoother, fluffier bread). When the dough has formed a shaggy mass, turn it out onto a lightly floured counter.
(** if you have a kitchenaid mixer, run on low speed until incorporated, then run on #2 until smooth, about 2-3 minutes, cover bowl with plastic wrap and skip kneading steps**)
Knead the dough and add just as much flour as you need to keep the dough from sticking to the counter. The dough should be a little tacky, but not sticky. Place the dough in a greased bowl. (I’m lazy, I don’t grease anymore since it barely sticks when mixed right) Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let rise until it has doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (use plastic wrap, it yields a better moisture content in the dough)

Gently deflate the dough and place it on a lightly floured counter (like VERY lightly). Shape as desired; you can make one huge loaf, three normal loaves, four mini loaves, or about 24 rolls. You can also reserve a small amount of dough and roll it into long, thin strips that can be snipped with scissors to form a stalk of wheat to decorate the top of each loaf. (I usually make 2 standard loaves in 9 in. pans. Each loaf will weight about 28oz. If making rolls, just keep halving your sections until you have the size and shapes you want. For BBQ, I often just make loaves and we eat it on slices. Also, use a little Pam on your pans, just to be safe.)

(Uber bread baking tip: Be sure not to ‘roll’ the dough as any trapped air or flour can ruin the bread. Trapped air pockets will cause a cavern of raw dough in the middle of the loaf, where excess flour will cause grayish streaking. Just turn the dough out onto the counter, cut to size and then roughly shape before dropping dough into pans.)

Score the bread to allow for expansion (You know, make it look pretty and artisan on top with a sharp knife). Cover the loaves and let them rise for about 45 to 60 minutes, or until they’re puffy (loosely cover with plastic wrap to avoid drying. Drying on the outer dough will hinder proper oven spring meaning your loaves will be smaller and denser). Bake them in a preheated 400°F oven (if you have a newer oven, 380 degress works better for 28 mins) for about 25-28 minutes, or until the bread is nicely browned and sounds hollow when thumped. (It’s wheat bread, it’ll look kind of dark, so don’t remove too soon!) Remove from the oven, and cool on a rack. (pop right out of the pan asap… soggy bread is icky!)

Serving:

Cut the loav(es) just shy of Texas toast thickness.
fork some tender pork BBQ onto the slice.
spoon a hearty scope of coleslaw onto the BBQ
top with another slice of bread.
have ample napkins on hand, and don’t be afraid to cut the sandwiches in half.

Know that if a meteor hit our planet tomorrow that you had a suitable last meal.