Spicy Miso Chicken Tacos with Asian Slaw

Found this recipe in the Relish supplement to my local newspaper. Very easy to make and super tasty. The slaw is from a different recipe, but they go great together or just pile on some thinly sliced cabbage, onions, cilantro and sliced jalapeno peppers which is what the tacos recipe recommends.

SPICY MISO CHICKEN TACOS (recipe courtesy of Marination restaurant and food truck, Seattle, WA) Serves 12

Sauce/Marinade
1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 cup mirin
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon red chile flakes
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup brown miso (aka red miso)

Chicken
12 boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 onion, sliced
2 jalapenos, sliced
corn torillas

1. To prepare sauce and marinade, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to boil. Remove from heat and let cool. Once the marinade has cooled, set aside 1/4 cup marinade for glazing chicken.
  2. To prepare chicken, place in zip-top bag with marinade and seal. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
  3. Heat oil in large non-stick saute pan. Add chicken and cook on medium heat until done, about 12 minutes. Watch the heat–the sugars in the marinade can burn easily. Remove from pan. Add onions and jalapenos and saute 5 minutes.
  4. Cut chicken into slices or bite-size pieces and place on tortillas, drizzle with reserved marinade and top with onions, jalapenos, cabbage, cilantro, and lime wedges.

ASIAN SLAW (serves 4)

6 oz. broccoli slaw*
1 oz. slivered almonds
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients stirring well. Allow to set for at least an hour to allow flavors to combine.

• I purchased mine at Trader Joe’s. Six ounces is half the bag. You can substitute cabbage as well.