You could of course, I’m sure adapt this recipe to not use venison. Just keep in mind deer is extremely lean, so you may want to add less pork fat if you’re using something else. That said, it is absolutely delicious. This was our first year making sausages, and was really very easy. We’ll never go back to buying sausage or paying the butcher to make them up for us again.
8-9 lbs ground venison
2-3 lbs ground pork fat (you’ll probably have to actually ask the butcher for this, as I’ve never seen it out on display anywhere )
6 tablespoons coarse salt
4 tablespoons paprika
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons fine ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground anise (I think next time I’ll use whole anise or fennel seed instead)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground thyme
2 cups dried milk powder
1/2 cup water
- In large bowl mix ground venison and ground pork fat
- Make a paste out of the milk powder and water
- In a separate bowl mix the rest of the herbs, spices, salt and sugar
- Add spice mix to the milk paste. Mix well.
- Mix paste well with the ground meat.
- Stuff sausages and wrap and freeze, or better yet, cook and eat