Homemade BBQ Sauce

Odo - this is the sauce I mentioned last night. It’s a bit more complicated than yours but worth the effort.

Warning all, this is the kind of sauce that will clog your arteries while you are reading the recipe…proceed with caution! I am fairly certain this recipe was a modified version of something from a cookbook, but I have no clue where it came from anymore. Also, I apologize for the “about” method of measurement - I’m fairly loose on measuring and just go by how much it looks like in the pan…hence why I normally don’t share recipes!

4 or 5 slices of bacon (don’t wimp out - use the real thing, it’s just better)
1 onion
3 or 4 cloves of garlic
about 1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
about 1/8 to 1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce (correct pronunciation not required)
1 can of tomato sauce (the soup size cans, not the bigger cans although it won’t hurt the recipe)
about 1/8 c. brown sugar
One chipotle in adobo sauce - chop it up as finely as you can get it (if you only like a little bit of heat, seed it. If you like a medium heat, seed it but then add in a spoonful of the adobo sauce. If you like the 5 alarm stuff, keep the seeds and add a spoonful of the adobo sauce.)
Add in a heaping spoonful of whatever jelly you have on hand - I’ve used pomegranite, apple, berry, and plum successfully.
a good drizzle of honey

Chop up the bacon into about 1" pieces and fry them up. You’re better off frying them up so they are fairly crunchy - crunchier than you’d serve for breakfast but not burnt. When they are done, just scoop out your bits and drain them on a paper cloth. Get rid of most of your grease but leave about 2-3 tablespoons in the pan.

Chop up your onion and garlic, then saute them in the bacon grease.

Add the rest of the ingredients (including the bacon), mix well, and let that hang out in the pan for a few minutes at medium to medium low. (You’re going for that effect where it’s not quite bubbling.) Serve this with just about anything you’d normally serve barbeque sauce with and don’t tell your doctor where you got it. :slight_smile:

-Uhg

Wow, this sounds good. My daughter loves BBQ sauce and I’m currently out, but I just happen to have all the ingredients for this recipe on hand. Bacon, ftw!

I like bacon! In fact, I was just about to be a really bad mage and go make an egg/bacon/cheese sandwich. If only I had the balsamic… damn you cupboard!

Thanks for sharing this Uhg! It looks really yummy and I am totally going to buy the vinegar next trip to the super Target! I bet its going to taste amazing on my Morningstar Farms Soy Buffalo nuggets! =D*****

I’m thinking Bar-B-Fu, Mir!

Take a block of firm/extra-firm tofu. Slice it length-wise into 4 long pieces of tofu “steak”. Wrap in a tea-towel or paper towels and place under a cutting board. Put a can on top for weight and let stand 30m or so to get out the excess water. Place in ziploc bag to marinate in 1/3 cup of Ughlee’s BBQ sauce + 1/4 cup cider vinegar for at least an hour or overnight. Drain off marinade (reserve the marinade) and sear the steaks in a non-stick pan over medium heat for about 2m and flip once to brown other side. Remove from pan and place on hoagie rolls. Add the reserved marinade + 3/4 cup dark beer to the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce to desired consistency. Pour over “steaks” and enjoy!

(recipe adapted from Alton Brown’s I’m Just here for the Food)

I’m confused, Ren. Where exactly on a cow does this ‘tofu’ part come from? Or from a pig, perhaps?

Uhg I made this tonight and used part of it as a topping on my meatloaf and it was killer. I have a pork roast in the crock pot now for tomorrow so in the morning going to add the rest to it and real slow cook it for a few more hrs. Now we have to have a long talk with our fearless leader about taking a perfectly awesome sauce and killing it with tofu…that is a sin Ren a major SIN…and the god of cookery will not forgive transgessions like that so go easy here

It’s very simple, Aulm and Odo. Tofu is super healthy, right? So that healthy factor totally overrides the bacon factor and makes my Bar-B-Fu a health food dish. Case closed.

Ren, calling something a health food dish makes it automatically taste bad. nuff said.

LMAO, and Mikey says it all