DW's award-winning (true!) Bacon/Chipotle Mac n Cheese

Pre-Thanksgiving food talk in-game prompted Mir to ask for this recipe, so I figured I’d post here… :clap:

The Stuff:

3/4-1 lb Pasta – I prefer Raddiatore or Rotini, but Elbow Mac works as well
1/2-3/4 lb finely diced/browned Bacon Ends/Bits
1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs

The Sauce:

3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp mustard powder
1/2 finely diced and sauteed onion
1 pint Heavy Cream
1 cup Milk
1 lb grated cheese (I use Sharp Cheddar, but you can sub any–set aside about 4 oz for layering)
Handful of Bleu Cheese crumbles (optional)
7 oz can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (you will only use a small portion of the peppers/sauce, but smallest can sold)

While your pasta is cooking, on medium heat in a saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour and the mustard powder making sure it’s not lumpy.

After smooth, add the cream, the milk, the sauteed onions and season with salt/pepper.

Add about 3/4 of the shredded cheese slowly, while stirring to blend/melt.

Finely chop a few of the chipotles, avoiding too many seeds. Add SMALL amounts of the peppers to the sauce to taste until you’re happy with the heat/flavor level. I also add small amts of the Adobo sauce to taste. I love spicy, but beware, this can get hot!

Cook the pasta to just under al dente, drain and put in a large mixing bowl.

Add the Bacon, Bleu Cheese crumbles to taste, and the sauce and mix it all together.

In a greased casserole dish layer the bottom with the mixture, then layer some of the remaining grated cheese and cover with more of the pasta/sauce mix. Top with the last of the cheese.

Finally, sprinkle the Panko over the top of the casserole.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 min and broil the last 2-3 to brown/crisp the top. Let set for 5 min and dig in!

You can add/sub any kind of cheese. I’ve used fresh Dungeness crab meat too which is amazing…lemme know how it goes!

I’ll be giving this a shot soon. I like my bacon wrapped in bacon.

omfg - i am making this :biggreen:

That actually sounds pretty good. I think Cam would love it.

ANYTHING! with bacon has to be tried, showing this to the wife :biggreen:

Show her this one also. special equipment needed: smoker and pre-scheduled angioplasty

Finally got a chance to make this last night and …omfg.

It was not difficult in the least for all you newer cooks, you just have to pay attention to it and the timing of the ingredients being ready when they are needed.

We had it for dinner all by itself last night and it was pretty amazing. Awgy just had some more for lunch today and had to microwave it due to time constraints and it tasted great all over again!.

Definitely a keeper! Thank you sooo much 2xwide for sharing this gem!

** addition **

We had the last of it in a pan on the stove. It made the bottom cheese a little crispy and totally tasty this way too!

it is REALLY good as leftovers too! i couldn’t believe it…