Chow Mein

Easy, healthy chow mein.

Ingredients:

• Wok
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Meat (chicken, steak, lamb, gnome, whatever. This particular instruction will be chicken.)
  • Green Onions
  • Green Pepper
  • Corn Starch
  • Sesame Oil
  • Dark Soy Sauce
  • Soy Sauce
  • Bean Sprouts
  • Noodles (Type is really up to you, but I find that the thinner the noodle, the better. My favorite is angel hair.)
  • Thai Hot Sauce
  • Chinese Five Spice

Step 1: Cut the chicken into small pieces. The small pieces make it cook very quickly.

Step 2: Put the chicken in a bowl. Add a teaspoon or so of Chinese Five Spice. Add a dollop of Sesame Oil. Add a dollop of dark soy sauce. Add soy sauce. Add Thai Hot Sauce (how much depends on your preference). Mix the contents; by hand is preferable. Let marinate for five minutes or so.

Step 3: Bring water to boil and cook your noodles. After four to five minutes, test them. There should still be a bit of give in the noodle. Pour the noodles into a colander and run them under cold water to step them cooking. Mix in some sesame oil to prevent them from sticking together.

Step 4: Cut the green pepper into long strips and the green onion into small pieces and set aside.

Step 5: Add a small amount of your oil to the wok. I use vegetable oil, but you may use peanut if you like. Let that get hot.

Step 6: Add a bit of corn starch to the marinated chicken. Mix it into the chicken. This helps protect the flavor while cooking.

Step 7: Add the chicken to the wok and stir-fry them. Since they are in small pieces, this shouldn’t take long, a minute or so.

Step 8: Add the green peppers and a handful of bean sprouts. Stir-fry for a few seconds.

Step 9: Add the noodles. Add a dollop of soy sauce. Stir-fry for maybe 30 seconds.

Step 10: Add the green onions. Stir-fry for only a few seconds.

Step 11: Put in bowl and eat.

Mmm, gnome chow mein…my favorite~

We gave this a shot tonight with pretty good results!

I have no idea if we did the right amounts of each ingredient, and I’m totally not used to the whole stir fry thing yet, but Mir and I liked it. Thanks for the recipe! =)

Do you have any pictures of what it’s supposed to look like? I’m not sure how close we got :slight_smile:

I’m making this again on Saturday, so I’ll take a picture then.