Blinchiki

Russian crepes that my mother-in-law taught me how to make :smiley: This is the only recipe I know that doesn’t come from a cookbook, aside from “white trash nachos” and “bloody mashed potatoes.” Oh yeah and she eyeballs all the measurements, so I’ve approximated the best I can and they end up pretty close to hers (although hers are better, in my opinion)

Blinchiki

Picture borrowed from http://www.bakingobsession.com/2007/11/06/crepes/

1 1/3 cup water
1 cup flour
1 egg
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup sugar (optional, if you like them sweet)
a splash of vodka (because they are Russian after all, and because it helps make the edges lacey)

Blend as smoothly as possible (I use an immersion blender). Ladle thinly on a lightly greased skillet and cook over medium-high heat (these are very thin, you want the batter to just barely cover the bottom of the skillet). Flip once when the edges start to look crusty. Can be served with virtually anything - ricotta, sour cream, jam, nutella, yummy yummy pie filling, etc.

Yum Approved

Your recipe reminded me of the one thing I cook without a recipe: Pannekoeks (Dutch Pancakes). They look just like the picture above (Flat crepe style pancakes).

Mix the following in a blender:

2 cups milk
2 cups flour
2-4 eggs (I just put in however many I feel like!)
Tablespoon or 2 of margarine
Tablespoon or 2 of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Cook just like pancakes in a hot frying pan. Fill the pancakes with your favorite toppings, roll, and serve.

My favorite is “pigs in a blanket” (Breakfast sausage wrapped with maple syrup). Other sweet options are pie filling, jam, whipped cream. You could also try savory options like fried oinon, pepper, mushroom, ham, bacon, etc.

Nutella! Sounds yummy

Making them this sunday and finding out :smiley:

Bob (significant other) loves his pancakes paper thin and, because I like mine thicker, I am never quite sure how to get them there, and still have them look yummy. These look sooooo good, I’m going to make them for him.