2nd Annual Goml Cookoff Recipe Contest!!!

Howdie all and welcome back to the God of Cookery section!

Over the years, we have been gifted with many fine family recipes by our members. I know I have personally tried at least 75% (if not more!) of them since Aulm opened this idea up to the guild years ago.

Though it’s a little overdue, I’d like to announce our 2nd annual Goml Cook-off Contest!

Come one, come all, and share your best recipes! They can be anything from dinner fare, scrumptious desserts, kick-arse party appetizers, ultra healthy/ultra tasty snacks… you name it! As long as it looks delicious, it may just be our winner!

Here’s how to participate:

From now until July 4th at 11:59pm (see what I did there?), I challenge you to post your most uber recipes in the God of Cookery forums. You can post as often as you like, but can only win one grand prize (though you can be a finalist more than once).

On July 5th, we will pick 10 finalists based on how highly commented your recipe was throughout the contest… so get your submissions in early to garner support! Every time someone in Goml comments, you earn 1 point. If a registered guildie claims that they actually made your recipe, attaches a pic and gives it the thumbs up… you earn 3 points. It’s that easy!

Once we have our top 10 recipes, we’ll open a poll and the winners will be crowned.

Because I hate having only 1 winner… the top 2 chefs will get to pick their very own custom forum title! (Please note that vulgar, overly childish, unnecessarily rude or names involving the term ‘Gummer’, will be rejected).

There is strategy here, so you may want to dig backwards and see how we crowned our last winner. Here are some good tips:

• Overly complex or scary exotic cuisine may be difficult for some to commit to trying, or it may very well win you the gold! As with the last contest, I will try to cook as many of the recipes as possible, though due to certain dietary restrictions in my household, can not guarantee that I will be able to.
  • If you know a recipe can be halved or doubled, please include that also as many of your guildmates live solo, or in small households. Smaller recipes are also good for those on diets!
  • If your recipe requires odd components, be sure to add where the ingredients can be easily purchased and what they actually are. We have vegetarians, people with food allergies, etc… just help people along on the more unique items to avoid accidentally ingesting something that they may regret.
  • If there is complex prep involved, don’t shy away from using pictures! During the last contest, a few submissions flopped because the directions assumed too much latent cooking ability. It’s safe to assume that people know how to use basic tools, but beyond that, more detail is preferred.
  • Some people cook by measure, others by weight. If you have both options available, include it!
  • These do not have to be recipes that you personally developed… but if its obvious that this is word for word off the side of last week’s pudding box, you’ll probibly get called out on it. It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t post it though! It may be the most amazing recipe ever and you may win. Still, chances are good that someone will point this out, so be up front about the source to avoid confusion. If you really want to ‘claim’ a recipe from a website or packaging, be sure to explain any alterations you use, as this may make it unique enough to be your own concoction. and thus, ‘your recipe’ in the eyes of your guildmates.
  • You can absolutely use a recipe that you personally posted here in the past as an entry. Just find the old recipe post, comment in it that you submit if for the contest and it will become current. For the sake of the contest, only guildie comments that appear after yours will count towards your comment tally.

So now that you know the rules… get cracking and give us your best kept secret recipes!!!
    /so hungry

Kickin Grilled Nachos

Prep: 10 min
Servings: 8

What you need:

8oz. tortillia chips
1 pkg. (8 oz) mexican style shredded four cheese with a touch of philadelpia
1/2 cup finely chopped red onions
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream

Make it:

Heat grill to medium heat
Double-fold edges of large sheet of heavy-duty foil to make rimmed 12x10 inch tray. Spread chips onto bottom of tray.
Cover with cheese, onions and peppers.
Place on center of grill. Turn off burners directly below tray; cover grill with lid. Grill 5 min. or until cheese is melted.
Top with tomatoes. Serve with sour cream.

They are great.

Glutn Free Pizza Crust

Makes 2 crusts

2 tsp. honey or sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tsp. olive oil
2 cups potato or tapioca starch (do not use potato flour)
1/2 cup corn flour (do not use cornstarch)
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup chickpea (garbanzo) flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 egg. beaten

1. Ina small bowl, combine the honey & water. Add the yeast & allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes, until it looks frothy and bubbly.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degree. Rub a large baking sheet with the olive oil; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the potato starch, corn flour, brown rice flour, chickpea flour, millet flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and sea salt.
  3. Add the proofed yeast, olive oil, and egg to the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until stiff, then turn dough out onto a surface lightly coated with corn flour, and knead the dough until it comes together. It should be stiff but soft. If the dough is too sticky, add an additional tablespoon of corn flour. If dough is too crumbly, add a tablespoon of water.
  4. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes.
  5. Divide the dough in half. If not using the other half right away, place it in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate (will keep for 3-4 days). On parchment paper, roll out half the dough into a 1/4 inch thick circle. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet by lifting the parchment paper and flipping the dough onto the baking sheet; peel off the parchment paper.
  6. Top the dough as desired. Bake the pizza for about 15 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Cut into 8 equal slices and enjoy.

Per serving: Calories 170, Fat 5g (sat. fat 0.7g), Carbohydrate 29g (fiber 3g, sugars 2g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 190mg, Potassium 270mg, Protein 4g, Phosphorus 120mg.

Since I am diabetic and cant have sugar or salt this is a great way to still enjoy pizza.

Pzza Margherita with Gluten-Free Crust

Half recipe Glutn-Free Pizza Crust
2 cups bottleld marinara sauce
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/4-1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
15 fresh basil leaves, stemmed

Salad

8 cups mixed salad greens
16 cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup diced red onion

\

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  2. Top your Gluten-Free Pizza dough with the marinara sauce and sprinkle with the cheese. Sprikle the dough with the oregano leaves and , if desired (not for wimps) crushed red pepper flakes.
  3. Bake pizza for about 14 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Add the basilleaves and cook for about 1 minute more.
  4. Cut pizza into eight pieces. Serve each slice of pizza with 1 cup mixed salad greens, 2 cherry tomatoes, and 1 Tbsp. diced red onion.

Per Serving:
Calories 270, Fat 9g (sat. fat 2.3g), Carbohydrate 41g (fiber 6g, sugars 9g), Cholesterol 20mg, sodium 520mg, potassium 660mg, protein 8g, Phosphorus 215mg.

Pssst, Zarcis!

You need to make your recipes an individual post (like Gummer’s PB&J one) to count, otherwise people will be unable to search for your recipes in the future. The true intent of running this contest is to share recipes, and without them properly indexed (as in their own post with the recipe title as the subject) no one is going to notice them! =)

If you have any difficulty doing a copy/paste into their own posts, just let me know. I would have done it for you, but then my name would appear as the author and I want to ensure you receive full credit =)

Thanks!

I dug this one up from the wild days of 1976! some of the items are no longer available in a bottle so I have included a viable substitute. Recipe is in its original form first and substitutes listed below. Who wants to fire up a hot stove or oven in the middle of summer? This falls under the refreshment category :stuck_out_tongue:

X

MOOSE JUICE!
by Flip RAF Bentwaters 1976

1/2 Gal Tequilla (any)
1/2 Gal Yago Sangria
1 Magnum Champagne (any)
2 Bottles “Bare Ass”
1 Bottle (any Annie’s GreenSprings)
2 Cans Concentrated O-Juice
1 Bottle “Real Lemon”
6 pack Hi-C fruit punch
Chopped assorted fruits (apples, Oranges, Lemons, Tangerienes)
Stir and Enjoy!

Substitutes for past items:
“Bare Ass”
1 bottle = 12oz
Amaretto Almond Liqueur 5oz
Peach Schnapps 5oz
Pineapple juice 2oz

“Annie GreenSprings”
Any cheep fruity wine like Boones Farm

Okay, I realize this is late but I’m seeing a whole new side of my brother. He had wild days? I thought I was the wild child! Wow!